Wednesday, August 17, 2005

D@mn Insurance!

I need to preface this comment with a little fact about me:

I do not read (or try very hard not to read) the information on my medication about possible side effects because I will likely give myself one or several of those side effects. I also do not google symptoms I have because I'm likely to come up with something that says I'll die in the next 2 hours. I have a very active imagination and I can make myself sick just thinking about it. So, I try to avoid these kinds of things. I've even skipped over the chapters in all my pregnancy books about things that can go wrong.

Now, on with the story.

I got home yesterday and there was a message from my insurance provider. The lady gave me the 800 number and which options to choose. She didn't tell me what I should be calling back about. I guess that's personal information she didn't want to leave on my answering machine?

I called this morning and it was to complete a survey. A very nice lady answered (after dialing, choosing option 1 and then option 2) and said that my OB's office had enrolled me in the Mommies-to-Babies program. Fine. They told me they would do this. Now I had to answer questions. She tells me that my information shows this is my second pregnancy. Check. I feel compelled to tell her that the first one did not end in a live birth. Why I didn't say I miscarried, I don't know. So, she tells me she is very sorry (and told me about 5 more times...I know, she's being nice) and asks me if I delivered the first baby after 37 weeks. I told her I miscarried at 12 weeks. Ugh. I really didn't want to think about that today. She asks me more stuff like have I been to the dentist in the past 6 months. Yes. Then she tells me about gum disease and the link to pre-term labor. I know all this. I'm a smart chica! Then she asks me my prepregnancy weight. Um...not sure...I think 175. Although I do carry it well. Then she asks my height...5'4" (did I put those quotes in the right place?) and wants to know how much weight I've gained or lost since my first prenatal visit...Lost .5 lbs. Woohoo! Then how many weeks was I at my first prenatal visit...4 weeks! She then tells me that people with a BMI of 30 or over are at a higher risk for gestational diabetes, pre-term labor and c-section. My BMI? 31. THEN, she goes into the signs of pre-term labor. Blah, blah, blah...and the last sign? You just have a feeling something isn't right.

For crying out loud woman! I don't want to know these things! I don't want to know about all the horrible things that can happen. I've already experienced, albeit mild, labor with the miscarriage. It hurt like h3ll!!!

Ok, now I need to get some work done and get my mind off this...phone...bet it's One Hot 'Sista!!

2 comments:

Mrs. Flinger said...

OMG.. You sound so like me. I freaked out the entire pregancy. I called the nurse because LB wasn't moving engough (of course, she doesn't STOP moving now)

It'll be ok. All these stories (I always felt "just not right") and it always turns out ok in the end. :-)

Anonymous said...

Boo on the insurance lady!