Thursday, September 07, 2006

There's always room for Jello

You know southern people love their jello salads. We'll put all kinds of stuff in jello!

Since I have a passel of people coming this weekend for X-man's baptism, I decided I'd get a head start on tomorrow's dinner and make the Lemon Jello Salad. Oh, and I'm going to get a few rotisserie chickens from the grocery store and have that with green bean cassarole and a salad. And we'll have some yeast rolls.

Anyway, back to the jello. I almost didn't follow the recipe for the finishing. Why? It's topped with grated chedder cheese...and while I LOVE it, I'm not so sure everyone else will. Cheddar on the sweet jello? So, instead of putting on as much as I normally would, I just put on a little sprinkling.

The salad is lemon jello with bananas and crushed pineapple mixed in. Then there's a layer of mini marshmallows then a cooked dressing that goes on top. As I was licking the pot and the spoon after putting the dressing on the salad, I was trying to figure out how else I could use the dressing. And it would make a fabulous fruit dip! It would probably be good dolloped on a slice of pound cake or angel food cake.

Let me go ahead and post the recipe. I hope my friend doesn't mind.

Lemon Jello Salad
1 3oz. box lemon jello
2 C. boiling water
1 C. sliced bananas (about 2)
1 8oz. can crushed pineapple (drain, but reserve the juice)
mini marshmallows

Stir the jello into the water. When dissolved, add the bananas and pineapple. Put in the refrigerator to set.

When the jello is almost set, cover with mini marshmallows.

Dressing
1/2 C. sugar
1 egg
1 T. butter
1 T. flour
reserved pineapple juice (about 1/2 cup)
1 t. lemon juice
8oz. tub cool whip
finely grated mild cheddar

Mix egg and sugar together.

In a sauce pan, melt butter on medium low. Gradually add flour and pineapple juice; alternating. Add sugar/egg mixture slowly (you don't want scrambled eggs!), then add lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.

Cool completely and stir in cool whip. Pour over marshmallow layer and add grated cheese on top as desired.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot! Now I want sushi AND jello salad.


xo