Friday, December 08, 2006

Forgotten Cookie Recipe! {updated}

Forgotten Cookies

I just pulled these out of the oven and tasted one. Man are they yummy!

2 egg whites
pinch of salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 6-oz package chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff but not dry. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans by hand. Drop by teaspoonsful onto cookie sheet lined with foil (or parchment paper). Cookies will not spread. Place in oven and turn off oven immediately. Do not open door for at least 8 hours. May be made the night before and removed from oven the next morning. Makes 22 large or 42 small cookies.

There is another recipe that's the same except for baking. The other recipe calls for 20 minutes in a 300 degree oven. I'm going to try that this morning for my second batch.

Unless pecans are snuggled in a pecan pie, I'm not a big fan of them in my food, so I left them out of this recipe. Also, TC's not into chocolate (gasp!) so I also left that out (but I have made them with the chocolate chips and they're even more sinful!). So these are just plain little puffs of clouds.

I probably make mine too big and that's why they're crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. If I made them smaller, they'd probably completely dry out. Oh well. They taste good how ever...even straight out of the mixing bowl!

***Here's what happened with the second batch:

After baking at 300 for 20 minutes, they were still soft-feeling, so I turned the oven up to 350 and waited on the preheat light to go off. When it did, I turned off the oven and let the cookies sit until the oven cooled off. Those cookies were crispy all the way through. And wouldn't you know it, I like them this way and TC likes them chewy in the middle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Mom made those every year! Thanks for the recipe. Now I can make them this year.