Friday, March 07, 2008

Monster Update

I started this post on Friday and now it's Monday and I'm finally finishing it. Busy, much?

Wow! With two kiddos, I hardly have time to get on the computer. And when I can get on the computer, I'm holding the baby which makes it hard to type.

Here are lots of updates on what's happening in the Snarfle household (besides a lack of sleep):

Baby Weight - Hers: Last Thursday (not yesterday, but the week before), we had a weight check for Buttercup at the Lactation Nurse's office. She was up to 8 pounds 4.7 ounces!! Yea for us!

The next day, we headed to Texas for a friend's wedding. It also happened to be in the same town where TC's parents live, so we had babysitting and housing services readily available.

The 6 hour drive took 8 hours since we had to stop and feed Buttercup twice...and we made a few extra stops just for diaper changes.

The big thing for me was going to be the sleeping arrangements while we were there. When we go out of town, X-man has been sleeping in the pack-n-play. Well, we have Buttercup in the bassinet part of the pack-n-play so that's not an option for X-man. I bought him a sleeping bag, but he's never slept anywhere that wasn't contained, so mamma was a little nervous about how he would do. Would he sleep? Would he stay on the floor in (or on) the sleeping bag? Would he turn the bookshelf over on himself when he tried to climb up it? Would he wander out of the bedroom without anyone (me) hearing him and toddle into the kitchen and eat the dishwashing detergent? All things a normal mamma worries about, right?

Well, he did fine sleeping...after he actually went to sleep. He took naps on the bed we were sleeping in and at night was on the floor. It took a few minutes to get him to sleep, but he slept all night with the exception of the first night there. He was up and we finally brought him into bed with us. That was exciting. He's quite the wiggle wart and bed hog! And Buttercup was up almost every 30 minutes that first night fussing, too. I don't think anyone at the wedding would have guessed how little sleep we actually got the night before!

When we got back home on Monday, we converted X-man's crib into a day bed. So, now he has the option to get up when he's awake. Yikes!

He was really excited about his big boy bed and was very ready to go "nigh-nigh" in it on Monday night. Well, we had been in the car most of the day and he didn't sleep much on the car trip home so we expected it to be an easy task to get him to sleep. Daddy had the honors. And it wasn't as easy as we thought. Once he finally got still and quiet, he slept. He woke up around 4:00 am and was in the hallway crying for us. Daddy went to get him and he was lying down in the hall and just crying. Poor guy. Daddy put him back to bed and at 7:00 am, X-man was up and ready for the day! I'm not ready for this.

As the week went on, I had my share of meltdowns at naptime. He just doesn't want to get still and of course nap time would be right when Buttercup wants to eat. Ugh. Once he does get still and quiet, he sleeps for about an hour (if even that much). Now, with one hour naps when they are usually 3 hours and waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 when it used to be closer to 7:30 really does a toll on a little boy's body. Not to mention the mommy and daddy's sanity. X-man has had several meltdowns in the evenings and it's due in part to the short sleep sessions, he does have at least one tooth coming in...and he's two. This momma is going to get a quick lesson in learning patience!

1 comment:

^starshine said...

Ahhh...these are the days that you scratch your head and ask "And I wanted to have children??" LOL!!