Friday, January 30, 2009

The perils of social networking

You might think you know what I'm going to talk about here: online predators, people leaving their current significant others for old flames fanned on by FaceBook...

Nope.

How about "finding" someone you once knew maybe back as far as elementary school. You knew that person through high school. You've got a really good idea of what kind of person they are.

And then they go and post something horribly offensive for their FaceBook status.

I'm all about letting people express themselves how they want and if FB allows curse words to be used on their site, then that is their call. And while I don't use them and certainly don't want my kids to use them, I know people do...I don't have my head in the sand. I know that friends and family use curse words (in fact, I even joke everytime one of my parents or sister lets on slip around the kids that they owe a dollar to the jar!) and I don't think any less of people that use them (unless that is seriously all the vocabulary they have).

But this person I have always thought of as an always-play-by-the-rules kind of person. And the status that was posted was not just alluding to something, but was flat out TMI. While it was quite descriptive and very well written, I actually thought someone had hacked their account!

I can't shake it. I don't see the same goody-goody person anymore when I see their profile picture. Maybe that's what they want...

No comments: