Friday, August 25, 2006

Is it really that complicated?

I went out to dinner last night with 11 other girls from our Sunday School class. We had 5 August birthdays to celebrate! So, there are 12 of us and we stayed there for 2 1/2 hours. It's a good thing they weren't crazy busy!

Anyway, it took us 30 minutes to get all checked out and the poor waitress never did get it all straight. Having never been a waitress, I have no idea how complicated it is to put that many people on separate checks. But, I would imagine that it could get pretty confusing pretty quickly. What really caused the problem was that several girls paid for two meals (their own and one of the birthday girls' meals) but the waitress didn't realize that when she picked up the cards. So, one girl's card got charged for one meal but not the other. I never got charged for the cookie I got and another girl never got charged for the dessert she ordered.

I really do understand how that can be really frustrating for the waitress.

What I don't understand is this: The waitress came back to the table with several credit cards.

"Whose card is this?"

We all look at her and she holds up the credit card. One of the girls raised her hand. The waitress did the same thing with the next card.

Now, wouldn't it just be easier to read the name of the credit card and do it that way? I mean, there is a real identifying mark on those things!

2 comments:

^starshine said...

In a nut shell, if she can't pay attention to the detail of organizing checks, then she definitely not going to pay attention to the detail of the names on the cards! LOL!!

August is a really good month for birthdays. ;)

Stubbed My Toe said...

Yeah, I mean its not like they put names on credit cards or anything like that.