Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Advocacy for Second Siblings

I am an older child. I have one sister (which makes her the younger one). And yes, when you have two kids, its the older and younger, not oldest and youngest as those terms imply at least three. My dad would have the longest conversations with us about that distinction...

Anyway, my sister has said that she is going to look out for Buttercup seeing as how they are both the second child. I was trying to come up with a funny "club" that my sister could be in charge of...and also try to push a tiny button at the same time (because all older siblings know exactly how to push their younger siblings' buttons!). With the help of my mom, we came up with

Advocacy for Second Siblings

Now, I'll let you go ahead and figure out the handy acronym for that one.

Yep, my sis is the self-proclaimed president of A.S.S. Somehow, though, I think she'll be leaving this one off her resume.

One of the things that gets her riled up is when I tell her we're going to use the same even/odd day system with X-man and Buttercup that my parents did with us!

My mom tells me this system came about because my sis and I were always fighting about who would get to ride in the front seat of the car when mom was driving us around. Of course, now, I don't think kids can ride in the car out of a booster seat until they're 16 or something like that...so front seat dibs may never become an issue!

Anyway, mom decided that I was born first, I'd get odd days. Sis was second so she'd get even days. It took me no time at all to figure it out the first time it happened...one of those months with thirty-one days that goes right into the first of the next month. You see it? There are several times a year that I get two days in a row. Sneaky, huh? One little caveat is that my birthday is on an even day but that day's still sis's. Oh, well. I still enjoyed the two-days-in-a-row times. And I'm pretty sure I rubbed it in my sister's face when those times happened (sorry sis, I was young. I know...what's my excuse now?).

So, X-man and Buttercup will be having even/odd days inspite of my sister's insistence that we not do that. And I'll probably always treat Buttercup like she's my baby, because she is. And I'll probably always expect more out of X-man because he's older.

No comments: