Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Their elevator didn't go all the way to the top

We had our last birthing class yesterday. I didn't post anything about the 3rd class mainly because it was pretty uneventful (except for the fact that I'm not as scared of epidurals anymore now that I have a better understanding of how they are administered...I'm not planning on having one, but I'll keep my options open).

Our class last night covered cesarean sections and inductions and the medical indications for having either. No biggie. And I got to finally see those much talked about mesh panties...

Then we all went up to the baby floor. Well, the nurse, her TV cart and 11 pregnant couples can't fit on one elevator. The nurse, her TV and 4 couples got on one...then we got on with 3 other couples and the last batch of 3 couples got on another.

Our elevator spilled us out onto the 6th floor and then the group behind us got off their elevator. Where was the first group? And what was that strange noise the elevator seemed to be making? No matter...we'll visit.

About 15 minutes later, a nurse comes and asks us if we are from the birthing class. Ummm...7 obviously pregnant women...none of which seem to be in active labor...yep, probably the birthing class. Anyway, the nurse, the TV and the 4 couples are STUCK on the elevator!!!

Great googley moogley! I would be in the middle of a panic attack if I were stuck on an elevator! Ness (that's in the class with us along with her husband) said she's be stripping down due to overheating.

We waited about 15 minutes more and still no delivery from the elevator. The random nurse decided she'd just show us the birthing room since they actually had a few that were empty.

It was a very nice room and had a fold out couch and a fold out recliner. I told TC he'd have to butt the recliner up to the end of the couch...otherwise, when that couch folds out, his knees will probably dangle off the end! And that reminded me that we probably need to put some comfy sleep clothes for TC in the baby bag.

So, 9:30 pm and we headed back down to our car. When our elevator opened up on the first floor, there was the nurse and the other couples just then getting off the stuck elevator. They all looked in good spirits and no one had a new baby with them. Thank goodness!

Next class: Baby Feeding

3 comments:

RB said...

Thats crazy!! I would have surely gone into labor. My only advice for childbirth is keep your options open and go with the flow, don't worry about throwing the plan out the window if you have to! If you can stick to it, great, if not, that is fine as well!

MommyLuv said...

NOPE...not me -- I loved the epidural. Of course, I had to have it b/c I had a c-section. But even if I gave birth the "regular" way, I would still want the epidural. I have a very low tolerance for pain!!! Call me a whiny baby but I only speak the truth! : ). I

^starshine said...

I'd be right there with you freakin' out in the elevator. Confined spaces is one thing, but a confined space with people is just wrong!!!

I hope the hospital gives you those awesome chilled peri pads. Its like an ice pack for your.....um...parts.