Friday, July 14, 2006

Let them eat cake!

My sister can sell ice to an eskimo. Mostly that's because of her personality. She can get people really pumped up about something. But the other part of that is that she really likes the ice she's selling and puts it in her Coke, too.

Earlier this week she was telling me how she really wanted a white cake with her famous frosting. The more she talked about it, the more I really wanted a white cake with her famous frosting.

Famous? Yes! In my house growing up, we didn't have cake very often. But on the appropriate occassions, sis would make a cake with this frosting. We all agree with Alton Brown when he says that cake is just a vehicle for frosting. My mom LOVES this cake/frosting. And I'm not really sure where sis learned about it, maybe mom told her. But she hit upon something delish.

Guess what ended up in my shopping cart on Monday?

A white butter cake mix. Now here's the problem. I have to make the frosting. Oh, I know, it's fool-proof: one package of powdered sugar, one stick of softened butter, a pinch of salt, vanilla and milk, a little bit at a time, to make it the right consistancy. I don't think I can mess it up...but I might. Right after I moved out here I tried to make mac-n-cheese and dang it if I didn't cook the macaroni too long. Blech! So, I'm salivating over the thought of this cake and I'm hoping I don't mess up this frosting.

TC's parents are coming up for the weekend and we'll have cake. I'm hoping I don't eat it all and we might have some left for next weekend when round two of the guests come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wellllll...how cute are you??! Just for that, I think I'll come for a vist in a couple weeks :)

Just don't forget the tall glass of ice cold (soy) milk to pair with it! Yumm-O!!