Thursday, April 19, 2007

Remembering

While we all pray for the families affected by what happened in Virginia, we are still remembering what happened 12 years ago today in Oklahoma City. It's the 12th anniversary of the bombing and while I wasn't here then, I remember that day.

I was a freshman in college and I didn't see it on the news until late in the afternoon on the dorm TV. That was when I realized that as college students, we lived pretty sheltered from outside events.

Since I have moved here, I have met many people that were personally affected either by having family members or friends in the bombing or were working downtown and felt the earth move. Each one has a story.

If you are ever in the area, the Memorial Museum (and park) is great to visit. The park is beautiful and is built on the footprint of the federal building that took the brunt of the blast. The Survivor Tree survived the blast and is still growing and thriving. The park is really a beautiful tribute to those that lost their lives and to the community for how everyone came together during that time.

Just remember.

No comments: